Diana L. Mercer, Esq.
Diana is the founder of Peace Talks and has transitioned into retirement. She is the co-author of Making Divorce Work: 8 Essential Keys to Resolving Conflict and Rebuilding Your Life (Penguin 2010) and Your Divorce Advisor: A Lawyer and A Psychologist Guide You Through the Legal and Emotional Landscape of Divorce (Simon & Schuster, 2001). After 12 years of practicing as a top divorce litigator (1988-2000), she now devotes her practice solely to mediation. She has conducted over 4000 mediations, and has received over 450 hours of specialized, professional Family Law Mediation training.
Online Press Kit
- Co-Author, Your Divorce Advisor (2001) and Making Divorce Work (2010)
- Founder, Peace Talks Mediation Services, Los Angeles, California. Peace Talks teams lawyers, therapists and financial professionals in a cooperative, co-mediator setting to assist families in resolving divorce and custody disputes in a constructive, informed, and pro-active manner.
- Visiting Faculty, Indiana University School of Law
- Mediation Trainer, 40 hour Basic Family Law Mediation Training and 16 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- Founding Partner, Noyes & Mercer, P.C. New Haven, CT. Founding partner in a Family Law practice with a range of clients from different economic and social backgrounds, from professors to plumbers. Services included legal counseling, divorce planning, mediation, complex litigation, use of experts, forensic accountants, tax matters, and legal drafting. Firm also handled grandparent visitation, step-parent adoptions, juvenile and related probate matters.
- Adjunct Professor, University of LaVerne, Psy. D. Psychology Program, Conflict Resolution and Mediation
- Adjunct Professor, Graduate Studies, University of Bridgeport, Domestic Relations
- Family Law and Divorce Mediation Panel: Los Angeles Superior Court
- Attorney Trial Referee, Judicial District of Ansonia/Milford at Milford, CT.
- Mediation Program, Regional Family Trial Court
- Special Masters Training, 60-hour program completed 1994
- 40 Hour Divorce Mediation Certificate, Mosten Mediation Training
- Advanced Mediation Training, Mosten Mediation Training
- 25 Hour Mediation Training, Centinela Valley Juvenile Diversion Training
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Panel Training, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- 25 Hour Advance Mediation Training, Pepperdine University, 2001
- 16 Hour Advanced Family Mediation Training, Los Angeles, County Bar Association Dispute Resolution Services, December 12-13, 2003 (assistant instructor)
- 16 Hour Advanced Family Mediation Training, Indiana Association of Mediators, September 26-27, 2008, with Robert Benjamin
- Peace Talks Mediation Services Los Angeles, CA, 2000 to present
- Family Law Mediation Panel, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Fee Dispute Mediator Panel
- Noyes & Mercer, P.C. Private law and mediation practice
- ADR Panel: Los Angeles Superior Court
- FARS Program Mediator Panel: Volunteer mediator with Families Able to Resolve Situations; mediation program for troubled teenagers and their parents.
- Special Masters Program: Regional Family Trial Court. During service as a mediator for the Connecticut courts, I handled over 150 cases.
- No nonsense
- Decide with parties how mediation will proceed, and established whether parties want private sessions or if attorneys will be present
- Outgoing, energetic, and informed
PERSONAL VALUES IN MEDIATION
- Information is power, and it’s my job to make sure everyone has enough correct information to make a good decision for themselves
- Only you know what’s best for your circumstances. My job is to make sure you’re able to get to that point
- Solutions sometimes come to you when and where you least expect them, so keep an open mind
- Respect, listening, and courtesy are key to the mediation process
- Resourceful, and good at looking at a problem and suggesting a variety of different solutions
- Over 25 years of practice as a family lawyer
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana, J.D. 1988
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, B.A. 1985
- Mediated over 4000 family law cases