Creating a New You After Divorce

Creating a New You After Divorce - divorce, divorce mediation, new you - Image by <a href="">Martyn Cook</a> from <a href="">Pixabay</a>“Out with the old, in with the new” is a famous quote that refers to a person making personal changes in their life. After a divorce, many people struggle to find their “new you”.

How does someone go about creating a new you? This is where a magic wand would come in handy, right?

First of all, it takes time, and the length of time it takes depends solely on the individual. It can’t be rushed or ignored.  To create a new you, the old you needs to be at peace.

When you commit to working on yourself, the healing process can begin!

Here are a few things to keep in mind as you work on the new you:

  • Realize and accept this is your unique journey, not someone else’s
  • Be kind and acknowledge how far you have grown to this point in time
  • Don’t forget where you came from and how far you have come
  • If you worked with a therapist during your divorce, continue to see them
  • Develop autonomy – be independent and rely on yourself

And most importantly – forgive – yourself and your spouse – the anger you harbor only affects you, not your ex.

If you are considering a divorce and are concerned about the future as a “new you,” consider mediation or collaborative divorce because in these types of processes you have room for your emotional healing.

At Peace Talks, our therapist mediators can help you move forward after your divorce has been finalized.

Our divorce mediators work with you to explore options, get the information you need to make good decisions, and assist both of you in reaching an agreement while keeping both parties in control over their future.

Is divorce mediation for you?

Get started with our Quick Start FAQ or contact us today to speak with us or to schedule a free mediation orientation (310) 301-2100.

Note: This information is general in nature and should not be construed as legal/financial/tax advice. You should work with your attorney, financial, or tax professional to determine what will work best for your situation.

Posted in