Creating New Holiday Traditions for Your Family After Divorce

Facebook and Instagram would have everyone believing that everyone’s holidays are jolly, bright and perfect! And that can be so very far from the reality of what the holiday season brings, especially for children of divorce and their parents.

When our clients decide to use mediation or the collaborative divorce model, they are surrounded by a team of experts whose sole purpose is to stay out of court and create an amicable divorce agreement that keeps the family unit together, along with helping the family through mental health specialists that are well versed in dealing with the stressors the holidays can often cause.

And often, we suggest that each parent creates new holiday traditions that are not tied to the past. Here are a few suggestions to consider when starting a new tradition:

·         Let your children have a voice on what tradition they would like to start.·         Refrain from talking poorly about your spouse to your child.·         Don’t make them choose between their parents – this is just wrong!·         Create a co-parenting plan for the holidays ahead of time with your ex.·         Be present during the new tradition – put your phone away! ·         Lower your expectations to a more reasonable level – consider how the new tradition. may be awkward for everyone because the other parent is not there.·         Find a way your family can experience a holiday tradition together.

At Peace Talks, our co-mediation teams of attorneys and therapists can help you and your spouse draft a straight forward sensible holiday agreement that works for both of you both now and in the future.

Our divorce mediators work with you to explore options, get the information you need to make good decisions, and assist you in reaching an agreement while keeping both parties in control over their future.

Is divorce mediation for you? Get started with our Quick Start FAQ or contact us today to speak with us or to schedule a free mediation orientation (310) 301-2100.

Note: This information is general in nature and should not be construed as legal/financial/tax / or mental health advice. You should work with your attorney, financial, or tax or mental health professional to determine what will work best for your situation.

Posted in ,