How to reduce the negative effects of divorce on your children

The collateral emotional damage that divorce can cause is not just limited to the couple getting the divorce. It also extends to the family’s children, no matter their age.

“It will be okay. Children bounce back,” could not be further from the truth. Children who are involved in a divorce where mental health is not at the forefront are at risk of experiencing long-term emotional damage. It’s so very sad, but yet so very commonly seen.

However, there is hope! When you and your spouse decide to pursue a marital dissolution through mediation or the collaborative divorce process vs. a litigated court process, your family will be supported by mental health experts for you and your spouse and child life specialists.  

Here are a few suggestions that parents can use to reduce the negative effects that divorce can have on their children:

  • Don’t share with your children that you want a divorce unless you are 100% sure
  • Don’t pit your child against your spouse – parent alienation is very damaging
  • Your child should not have to take sides – this is not a popularity contest
  • Encourage your child to find healthy ways to reduce their stress
  • Work with your partner to co-parent, even when it’s hard
  • Let them know your divorce is not their fault
  • Sharing all the details about the divorce is detrimental – keep it age-appropriate
  • Stop leaning on your child for emotional support

When a mental health professional, such as a child-life specialist, is involved in the divorce process, they will be able to help everyone in the family emotionally healthily navigate the divorce process and allow healing to begin.

At Peace Talks Mediation Services, our custody mediation and parenting plan mediation services assist divorced, divorcing, and never-married parents in working together to develop a child-centered custody plan and improve your ability to co-parent.

Contact us today to see how we can help you and your spouse navigate the divorce process in a peaceful manner.

Note: This information is general in nature and should not be construed as legal/financial/tax advice. You should work with your attorney, financial, or tax professional to determine what will work best for your situation.